HEALTH AND WELFARE LASTING POWER OF ATTORNEY (LPA) IN OXFORD AND SWINDON
Obtaining a Health and Welfare LPA in Oxford and Swindon with The Will Associates, will allow you to nominate a person (“Attorney”) to act on your behalf, if you are unable to do so yourself.
What is a Health and Welfare LPA?
If you get a Health and Welfare LPA in Oxford and Swindon with The Will Associates, this will let you choose someone you trust to make personal decisions for you, if you can’t.
Unlike its financial counterpart the Health and Welfare LPA can only be used when you have actually lost mental capacity.
Whoever you decide to appoint, all decisions must be in your best interest, by law.
Who Needs a Health and Welfare LPA?
· Those concerned that important health decisions should be made for them by a person they trust.
· Anyone with a progressive condition which may seriously affect their physical and/or mental health.
· Anyone concerned about where they might live or what care they might get.
· Anyone wanting someone who is not their next-of-kin to make decisions (ie unmarried couples).
· Anyone who thinks there may be an argument or difference of opinion amongst family members as to what is in your best interests.
What Kind of Decisions Can my Attorney Make?
When you get a Health and Welfare LPA in Oxford and Swindon with The Will Associates, decisions like arranging your daily routine (what you eat, wear, etc) and who can visit; medical care and treatment (including whether or not to be resuscitated) if you have detailed this in your LPA.
They can decide what home care or where you should be placed, in accordance with your wishes, as noted in your LPA.
What Can Happen if I Don’t Have One?
· Decisions could be made which might not accord with your wishes.
· Only your next-of-kin would be consulted by the medical authorities regarding resuscitation, etc. If you are not married or have lost touch with your family, your partner or close friend would be excluded.
· You might be resuscitated against your wishes.
· The Court of Protection might have to get involved, rather than an Attorney of your choice. Applications to the Court are costly and time-consuming.
We know it can often be difficult to discuss such matters with your family but getting a Health and Welfare LPA in Oxford and Swindon with The Will Associates, will stop them having to guess what you might have wanted. It gives you the peace of mind of knowing that someone you trust will ensure that your wishes are always complied with, even if you can’t communicate them yourself.
Having a Health and Welfare LPA does NOT mean you are surrendering control. On the contrary, it ensures that you retain control, even when you have lost capacity.
If you need Health and Welfare LPA in Oxford and Swindon, then The Will Associates can help you and your loved ones. Call us today on 0800 9500 700 to arrange a free, no-obligation appointment with one of our highly-trained consultants.